Monday, September 17, 2012

Art of Giving.


Few days back I was conducting interview for a post with a modest pay enough to start his or her career and living. During interview process I met one candidate who had moved from a village a year back and was somehow managing things in his existing salary in a mega city like Ahmedabad. The guy was humble and down to earth. I asked him few routine questions and then suddenly I stumble upon his hobby mentioned in his resume and one of them was social service. This was the first time I had encountered a hobby as “Social Service”. I tried to probe him and asked what he meant by social service and he replied “To help needy”. 

I was slightly taken back and further asked “How do you help needy?” He replied "Sir I try to help street children by buying them food within my capacity and by giving them my old cloths. There was a sense of satisfaction when he replied and I was like ... “Where do I stand?”  Here was a gentleman struggling with his career, his own needs and family expectation still he manages to help the needy and on the other hand I earn enough to save for my family but always find an excuse when it comes to helping other.

He was short of skills and I guided him on his weakness, gave career guidance and explained him why he is currently not fit for the post. He took it positively and left. He has many other positive points which this corporate world does not acknowledge. Though I asked him questions during interview but one question which he asked me unknowingly was “What I do for others?” It was a thought provoking questions which left an impression in my mind.  He taught me a beautiful lesson that you can always help other immaterial of what you have without making excuses.

I wonder what percentage of your earning do you spend on others. I have made up my mind and have a figure now. I hope this post will help you to make up your mind and find out the figure. It may be in single digit percentage but it will make 100% percent impact on those who are needy. I am going to start now, when are you?

2 comments:

  1. Really Heart Touching..!! But i am not excused, because i did the same by Today :)

    ReplyDelete